I am Professor of Population Geography at the University of Leeds. My research utilises existing and emerging data to produce high resolution estimates and projection of population and demographic characteristics. I am based in the School of Geography and the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics. I am also a Turing Fellow so you will sometimes find me at the Alan Turing Institute in the British Library.
My Other Roles
- Co-Director of the ESRC funded Consumer Data Research Centre
- Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence
- Member of the Office for National Statistics Methodological Assurance Review Panel, formed by the National Statistician to review and provide advice and assurance on methods used to produce official statistics, in line with the Code of Practice for Statistics’ guidelines on quality assurance through peer review.
- Member of the National Population Projections Expert Advisory Group, Office for National Statistics
- Member of the Scientific and Industrial Advisory Board of the UK Exascale project. Providing guidance and advice on the likely scientific and industrial use of the UK Exascale supercomputer.
- Chair of the Applied Geography Commission of the International Geograpic Union
- Editorial Board of Geographical Analysis
- Editorial Board of The International Journal of Microsimulation
- Strategy Board Member for the Data Analytic Facility for National Infrastructure (DAFNI)
- Director of Elucity Limited consultancy, providing analysis and insight for data-driven projects